[Xastir] Maps, Defaults, and Chooser

Chip G. n1mie at ct.metrocast.net
Wed Dec 6 17:53:36 EST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 16:03, Tom Russo wrote:

>> So you don't have many maps? I've installed maps for trial
>> purposes, but since they add time to the display refresh and am
>> not presently using them I have them turned off. So you have just
>> a few maps you always use and delete or otherwise remove all
>> others? I think Automaps is an essential feature and shouldn't be
>> removed!
>
> I have thousands of maps.  And use map layers and zoom min/max to
> handle them instead of letting automaps choose it for me.  Because
> it always does so in a way I hate.

That works, but only to a degree. If you have a map, which fits your
needs zoom, layer, and otherwise but you don't always want to
display. How do you turn it off for the given session but turn it on
later? That's how I use Automaps (aka an ON/OFF switch).

>> I disagree. Automaps provides a method of configuring the map
>> display which is essential. Without it all maps are processed
>> every time. With it I have a method of telling Xastir not to waste
>> my time with certain maps (regardless of zoom).
>
> Not true at all.  Xastir will only process maps that intersect the
> current display, whether automaps is on or off.

Obviously you aren't hearing what I am saying. I live in CT. I have
several flavors of maps which overlap CT. Some I want on, some I want
off, at this time. How do I control that within your scheme? Layers
only works to a degree. That controls what is displayed over/after
another. But some maps take several seconds to load, that is time I
don't want to waste all the time (but sometimes I do), so I need a
way to turn if off. Automaps serves that purpose for me.

> automaps usurps user choice as to which maps to not to display even
> if they do intersect the current display.

I think exactly opposite. It gives me choices I can't have without

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn