[Xastir] Xastir Linux x86 binary

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 7 15:56:08 EST 2006

There's a new Xastir x86 Linux binary at:

<ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/a/archer/aprs/xastir/LSB/xastir-lsb-1.8.5.tar.bz2>

The install location has changed from /opt/lsb-xastir to
/opt/Xastir.  I also added a bunch of copyright and license info for
the libraries we're using.  To install and run it you now do this:

    su
    cd    /
    tar   xjvf   xastir-lsb-1.8.5.tar.bz2
    exit  (from root)
    /opt/Xastir/bin/xastir &

Note that this Xastir binary is NOT LSB-certified, but I'm working
towards having it be compliant with their standards.
LSB-certification requires them to test it.  It also requires that
$$ change hands, which we ain't gonna' do.  Also, to quote their
webpage:

"Free Standards Group, FSG, Linux Standard Base, LSB, Free
Standards Certified, LSB Certified and the Free Standards Certified
logo are trademarks, service marks and certification marks, as
appropriate, of Free Standards Group in the United States and in
other countries."

We can't claim LSB compliance, plus we probably need to add (TM) or
similar every time we use any of their terms.  I'm not sure which in
each case as I didn't explore their website further.

This binary should work on any Linux system that is LSB-3.0
compliant.  I'm quite interested in the results should someone try
it on an LSB-3.1 compliant system.

A few features may not work (like perhaps Snapshots and/or
Printing).  Such features are dependent on external programs which
aren't distributed in the package above.  These programs may not be
present on your system, or located in different locations than we
compiled for.  I'll be working these issues as I have time.