[Xastir] Maps, Defaults, and Chooser

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Dec 9 10:57:18 EST 2006

Tom Russo wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:15:52PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
>
>>I'll add my 2 cents into this discussion.
>>
>>I use automaps. The way that I use them is that I have all of my "normal" maps
>>setup as automaps="yes". I have a variety of maps in this category:
>>  terraserver
>>  radar
>>  shapefiles of just the USA (with states)
>>  shapefiles for counties
>>  interstate roads
>>  other major roads
>>  tiger maps (divided by state)
>>  local repeater locations (dbf)
>>  gnis data
>>and have the min/max zoom set so I get more detail as I zoom in.
>>
>>I turn off automaps to disable all of these maps and look at something
>>specific. When I'm ready to go back to my normal display, I simply re-enable
>>automaps. If there was a way to associate a collection of maps together so
>>they could be enabled/disabled all together, then I could easily do without
>>automaps.
>

> A general "map set" tool would be a welcome addition.  You've got automaps
> working for you as a single map set, and if it were replaced by a more
> general tool designed for that purpose allowing multiple map sets instead
> of a single on or off map set, that'd be cool.  I'd certainly use it.

As much as I hate to cite ESRI tools, their method of check-box
selection of available layers to activate, in a hierarchical structure,
is a good one.  GoogleEarth doesn't do it quite so well, but a big part
of that is latency associated with their update paradigm.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983