[Xastir] Functionality Request

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 12 17:05:18 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 01:51:10PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Christian wrote:
>
> > If it is not too difficult, could a switch be installed inside the
> > Station --> Filter Data menu to knock out the Winlink / ARRL images from
> > the display?  The only current way to kill them off seems to be
> > disabling Select Objects / Items, but that kills off APRS weather icons.
> >
> > I mainly use Xastir for looking at radar images superimposed on roads
> > and lakes.  I encourage the use of this excellent software on our
> > website http://www.wx9grb.org and I include instructions for folks to
> > set it up.  With our mission of looking at weather data on a map, the
> > Winlink W icons are clutter and get in the way.  A filter would be awesome.
>
> Can you not filter these at your internet feed?  If you're using a
> filtered port there may be a way.  Perhaps someone can help you
> figure out the right filter string.  I'm not very knowledgeable
> about the various filters.

Since the WinLink objects all use the ARRL symbol with W overlay it should be
possible to filter them out with the "-s//a/W" filter string ("do not pass
posits from stations with the a symbol from the alt table with W overlay").
See http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSSrvr/javaprsfilter.htm for details.

Since these objects will only come in over a server port, that seems the
right approach -- just tell the server to not even send them to you.