[Xastir] [aprssig] TGR2SHP TIGER/Line translator is now Freeware (fwd)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 13 10:43:17 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 06:08:26AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jdw at eng.uah.edu> flavor, containing:
> Is this different than the python scripts, whose output we've been
> using for a few years now?

Yes.  The shapefiles output from TGR2SHP will be different than those
constructed by the ogr2ogr and Xastir-tigerpoly.py scripts.  It would probably
be necessary to write different dbfawk files to use them.

The fact that the dbfawk files connected with the shapefiles we've been using
are called 'tgr2shp.dbfawk' and 'tgr2shppoly.dbfawk' will no doubt lead to
confusion, because whenI created those two files I had no idea there was a
commercial tool called TGR2SHP, and just gave the dbfawk files a descriptive
name.

Having never used TGR2SHP, I don't know if there's a clear advantage to
switching tools.  The process is sufficiently complex that there are things
that are missed by the ogr2ogr/Xastir-tigerpoly.py method, so maybe there
is a good reason to switch.