[Xastir] Proposed change to handling of gps-downloaded shapefiles.

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 13 12:49:12 EST 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> Now a question: is anyone aware of a good tool for tweaking shapefiles, as in
> removing garbage points?  I downloaded a GPS track, and there was a single
> extra point at the beginning that was garbage --- several degrees jump from
> the first and second point, and after that it was fine.  Xastir is drawing
> a huge line from the starting point to the second point, and has a rendering
> problem at zoom levels below 8 when it tries to draw that line (fills the screen
> with horizontal bars).  Unfortunately, I cannot find any tool that will let
> me delete that first point from the shapefile.  I've tried qgis, but even
> though it'll let me edit the layer and will flash the point when I click
> the "delete vertex" tool on it, it doesn't actually do the deletion.  Grrr.
> Any helpful hints would be welcome.

Can't help you on the editor, except perhaps GRASS.

As far as the horizontal lines all over the screen, that's a known
X11 bug.  It happens if we have X/Y screen coordinates that are over
15 or 16 bits I think.  There are places all over Xastir where we
try to prevent calling the X11 functions with numbers higher than
15000 or so.  Perhaps the GPS trail display code doesn't have that.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer