[Xastir] Proposed change to handling of gps-downloaded shapefiles.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 13 16:22:05 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 02:51:58PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> flavor, containing:
> Curt Mills wrote:
> >On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:
> >
> >>Now a question: is anyone aware of a good tool for tweaking shapefiles,
> >>as in
> >>removing garbage points?  I downloaded a GPS track, and there was a
> >>single extra point at the beginning that was garbage --- several degrees
> >>jump from
> >>the first and second point, and after that it was fine.  Xastir is drawing
> >>a huge line from the starting point to the second point, and has a
> >>rendering problem at zoom levels below 8 when it tries to draw that line
> >>(fills the screen
> >>with horizontal bars).  Unfortunately, I cannot find any tool that will
> >>let
> >>me delete that first point from the shapefile.  I've tried qgis, but even
> >>though it'll let me edit the layer and will flash the point when I click
> >>the "delete vertex" tool on it, it doesn't actually do the deletion.
> >>Grrr.
> >>Any helpful hints would be welcome.
> >
> >Can't help you on the editor, except perhaps GRASS.
>
> Quantum GIS (QGIS)?

Er... look up 6 lines or so.  That's actually the only tool I tried, and it
simply didn't do the trick.  It'd let me click the "delete vertex" tool on the
unwanted vertex till the cows came home, and when it saved changes the stupid
thing was still there.

To use GRASS would require importing the shapefile to a GRASS format, using
v.digit to tweak it, then exporting it as a shapefile again --- and GRASS
would then monkey with the attributes.