[Xastir] LSB Xastir install directories

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Dec 16 12:50:35 EST 2006

A message on the lsb-discuss list talked about various directories
that an LSB package could be installed to based on who is doing the
install.  Here's the text:

  "Three places: distro-provided (/usr), user/sysadmin (/usr/local),
   and ISV (/opt).  If it's in a package you provide, whether that
   package is package-manager style (rpm/deb) or some other kind of
   bundle (executable, unpacking shell script, whatever), it should
   go in /opt, in a subdirectory that's reserved to you.  /usr/local
   is for the kind of thing where the "system administrator", for
   want of a better term, pulls down a tarball, builds and installs
   it."

Since the plan eventually is to provide it in RPM and perhaps DEB
format, I guess we're still stuck with /opt/Xastir, while standard
source builds will go into /usr/local, and OS-supplied binaries may
go into /usr.  Personally I find all of this confusing.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer