[Xastir] mac osx 10.4.8 Xastir 1.8.5 working here, mostly.

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 17 02:04:44 EST 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, N1OFZ wrote:

> > Are GM and libDB are Darwinports versions, so they are in
> > "/opt/local/"  ??
>
> They should be.  All port packages should be installed in /opt/local.  But
> whoever built the port for bdb decided that rather than install in
> /opt/local/lib they install them in /opt/local/lib/db4x.

The problem with the Berkeley DB library as distributed by Sleepcat
Software is that mixing matching between different versions will
often cause segfaults in your application.  If a program was
compiled against one version's headers but linked to a different
version's library, you can get a segfault.

I assume the same could happen if you had it dynamically linked to
libdb.so of one version and then replaced libdb.so with a different
version and ran the program.

That's most likely why they chose to put each version in its own
directory.  This makes it difficult to distribute either source code
or a binary that dynamically links to their library.  If the library
is distributed along with the application then it's not such a big
problem.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer