[Xastir] Reporting configure report

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Dec 18 23:18:31 EST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:18:43PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <brown at brauhaus.org> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 03:07:47PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wm5z at comcast.net> flavor, containing:
> > > xastir 1.8.5 has been configured to use the following
> >
> > > Building with rtree indexing ....................... : no
> >
> > So, does anyone here still think that rtree should remain off by default?
> > It's been in the code for almost two years, and I think it's had a good
> > experimental run.  The speed-up vs. memory trade-off seems worth it,
> > at least if you're doing a bunch of zooming and panning.  Time to turn it
> > on by default?
> >

> I'd say Yes, but with the caveat that it be such that if it won't ever
> get used, it isn't built or included.

How do you propose that we detect at compile time whether it will ever get used?

If the user plans never to use shapefiles, then we should recommend that the
user specifiy "--without-rtree."  Six of one, half a dozen of another
right now.

rtree is a tiny, tiny library, and if shapefiles aren't used then rtree being
compiled in has no effect at all.