[Xastir] Reporting configure report

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 19 02:36:41 EST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 08:32:02PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > If the user plans never to use shapefiles, then we should recommend that the
> > user specifiy "--without-rtree."  Six of one, half a dozen of another
> > right now.
> >
> > rtree is a tiny, tiny library, and if shapefiles aren't used then rtree being
> > compiled in has no effect at all.
>
> I agree.  Make it so.

Done.

I should correct my statement there: if shapefile support is not compiled in
to xastir, rtree is not either.  But shapefile support is pretty much always
compiled in to xastir now, since we bundle it.  At any rate, the impact of
having rtree support compiled in when the user is not using the shapefile
support (even if it's compiled in) is negligible.

Turning off rtree is done by adding the "--without-rtree" flag when
configuring.  Those who have been routinely using "--with-rtree" can just
leave that off now, but leaving it there will do no harm.