[Xastir] CVS password

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 20 13:41:00 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 07:29:59PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <on4hso at amsat.org> flavor, containing:
> Tom Russo wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 07:06:29PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <on4hso at amsat.org> flavor, containing:
> >

> > The package manager should have a "remove" option just as it had an "install"
> > option.  I don't use Kubuntu, so don't know how Adept works, but in Ubuntu
> > you use Synaptic, search for the package, then click on it and choose
> > "Mark for Removal" and "Apply"
> >

> You are right. Kubuntu has the same.
> I have only installed packages, but never removed.
>
> Now I know how to do it. ;-)

Excellent.  I hope you enjoy using the bleeding edge version of xastir.  I'm
pretty sure the one that you can download as an Ubuntu package is rather old.

Note, though, that the package version will have installed all sorts of things
in /usr/share (maps, config files, etc.) and when you ran xastir from the
package it created a configuration file in ~/.xastir/config that points to
those locations.

When you install xastir from source, it'll install into /usr/local, and
the things that were previously in /usr/share are now in /usr/local/share.
Your configuration file will be telling xastir to look in the wrong place.

There are two approaches to fixing that.  The no-brainer approach is just
to remove the file "~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf" and let xastir rebuild it.
Doing so will require that you re-do all of your customization (call sign,
station icon, interfaces, etc.), but if you haven't done much of that it's
the easy way.

The other approach would be to edit the .xastir/config/xastir.cnf file
and replace all the instances of "/usr/share" with "/usr/local/share".  Those
are going to be in the AUTO_MAP_DIR, ALERT_MAP_DIR, SELECTED_MAP_DIR,
SYMBOLS_DIR, SOUND_DIR, GNIS_FILE, and GEOCODE_FILE settings.
More work, but it won't trash your other customizations.