[Xastir] mac osx 10.4.8 Xastir 1.8.5 working here, mostly.

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Thu Dec 21 06:57:05 EST 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:02:57PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jdw at eng.uah.edu> flavor, containing:
>
> Most of the newer BDB versions have a 1.8.5 compatibilty mode --- it might
> be possible to use that, but with substantial rewriting of the map_cache
> code.

Map caching probably could use a substantial re-write. ;-)

As mentioned previously here, I've thought about doing just that, actually,
and either setting it to use a different database lib or just using a text
file.  I think a db will, long term, scale better, but text may be adequate
for the task at hand.  I originally decided on the bdb, partly because I
wanted to use something similar to Perl's persistent hash, and partly
because I didn't want to have to write it from scratch.  In retrospect,
perhaps ndbm or gdbm would have been a better choice than bdb.  Perhaps
that still is the case.  As well, It has also previously been pointed out
that there is already support for dbf files include with shapelib.

Side topic -- anyone tried doing Xastir with parallels?  Not that you can't
do it natively, but, it sorta seems like it might be a way to test multiple
OS's with the same machine.

73,
N8YSZ.

--