[Xastir] Xastir virtual machine now available for download

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 24 12:57:25 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 10:23:23PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:
> Has anyone played much with the VMWare appliance version of Xastir?

I know that at least one person here (who has never, ever posted) is using
it regularly instead of cygwin.  Perhaps he'll speak up?

> I've managed to have it die more than a couple times.

What dies?  The whole virtual machine?  Xastir?

> I also can't
> seem to get it to use shapefiles. The help dialog shows that shapefile
> support is built in, but after putting shapefiles into the map
> directory, and reindexing I show no maps beyond what came with the
> appliance.

Check file permissions.  I had one person tell me he needed to change
all the permissions in the maps directory to world readable to get it to
work.  The following command would do the trick:

  sudo chmod -R a+rX /usr/local/share/xastir/maps

(the capital X  in "a+rX" is important and means something different from the
lower case)

I don't know exactly why the new maps would get put there with the wrong
permissions, but apparently it does happen.