[Xastir] VMWare for Mac

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 29 00:00:44 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 10:58:27PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <brown at brauhaus.org> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Carl Makin wrote:
> > Parallels have said they are working on their Transporter code to
> > allow the conversion of Linux (and other) machines across to
> > Parallels as well, but it's not there yet.
>
> There are a couple notes on the net about taking certain VMware virtual
> machines and converting them over to Parallels. Was on my list of things
> to try with the Xastir/Ubuntu vmware instance.  Also, Parallels can
> boot a live ISO without any problems.
>
> Of course, between the N1OFZ prebuilt binary and/or the darwin ports
> method, installing xastir natively on Tiger isn't awfully difficult. Vmware
> may actually complicate matters!

I was thinking that.  Why bother with a virtual linux box if the thing runs
natively without all that much headache?  The downside of running the virtual
machine is that it really does carve out a part of your machine's memory
as its own, and adds additional headaches because the VM's "disk" is just
a big file on the host system --- copying files from one place to another
is done by doing network sharing (NFS or SMB), or by using temp disks.

I'd be surprised if any mac users get very excited about that option.