[Xastir] VMWare for Mac

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Dec 29 11:12:01 EST 2006

On Dec 29, 2006, at 4:27 AM, jdw at eng.uah.edu wrote:

> Curt Mills wrote:
>
>> I think this is only for the Intel Mac's?
>
> It's conceivable to have it run on PPC macs - there was a product
> called
> VirtualPC thatwould allow intel emulation on PPC macs.  Microsoft
> assimilated the company, and I never got the microsoft branded
> virtual PC
> to work reliably with linux or solaris x86.
>
> In any event it was a dog - performance was such that you wouldn't
> want to
> use it unless you absolutely had to.

That's quite true.  I have the latest version with XP and it is
really a pain to use (increasing the RAM to 1GB helped a lot,
however).  Emulating a different architecture causes performance to
take quite a hit.

When I saw that there was a version for the Mac, I hoped it would be
for PPC so I could run a PPC version of Linux in a virtual machine.
I guess there isn't enough of a market for that however.

Bob, N7XY