[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.10 Bootstrap error

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Nov 3 15:10:08 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:28:10PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jronan at tssg.org> flavor, containing:

> Now.. to make things easy for myself I edited
> get-maptools.sh
>
> ALL="   http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/shapelib-1.2.10.tar.gz\
>         http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gdal/gdal-1.3.1.tar.gz\
>         http://dl.maptools.org/dl/geotiff/libgeotiff/
> libgeotiff-1.2.3.tar.gz"
>
> as pcre and proj are installed (and being recognised by xastir's ./
> configure)
>
> shapelib was fine.
>
> First problem, gdal wouldn't compile
>
> g++ -Wall -O2 -I../../port -I../../gcore -I../../alg -I../../ogr -
> I../../ogr/ogrsf_frmts -I../../port -c fitdataset.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -
> o ../o/.libs/fitdataset.o
> fitdataset.cpp:177: error: extra qualification 'FITRasterBand::' on
> member 'FITRasterBand'
> fitdataset.cpp: In static member function 'static GDALDataset*
> FITDataset::Open(GDALOpenInfo*)':
> fitdataset.cpp:1019: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
> break strict-aliasing rules
> make[2]: *** [../o/fitdataset.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/j0n/sources/xastir/tmp/gdal-1.3.1/
> frmts/fit'
> make[1]: *** [fit-install-obj] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/j0n/sources/xastir/tmp/gdal-1.3.1/
> frmts'
> make: *** [frmts-target] Error 2
>
> So, I downloaded 1.3.2 by hand and tried it instead, that worked

GCC 4.x is much more strict about C++, and a lot of dicey/deprecated/lazy things
that slipped through older compilers don't get by gcc 4.x.  Some of the
things that are deprecated (e.g. "deprecate conversion of string constant to
char *", which is all over lots of codes) just spew warning upon warning, but
others, such as overqualifying a name:
    class foo {
       public:
         double foo::bar();
    }
that used to be silently ignored in older gcc versions (3.x and earlier) now
cause compilation failures.

The particular error you mention was fixed in GDAL in February, but that's
after 1.3.1 was released.

get-maptools.sh should probably be updated to snag a later version, or folks
with bleeding edge GNU compilers will have to do more things manually.