[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.06 Boostrap

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sat Nov 4 14:12:28 EST 2006

> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 22:03 -0500, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
>> There seems to be a lot of buzz around Ubuntu on this list lately. We really
>> need to add something to the official wiki on how to build this from scratch

I've been lurking and following this thread, and learned a lot about The
complexities of pulling together all the necessry pieces to compile
xastir.  I remember fondly the three days I spent on vacation several
years ago, as I went thru this process, with frequent email help from
Curt, I haven't forgotten!  I must admit, I haven't compiled it since I
switched to Ubuntu, and I've been satisfied with the stable version
available in the repository, and haven't felt the need to venture out to
the bleeding edge of CVS.
   I'm surprised, though, that all of the verious posters here have missed
the easy shortcuts that the Debian apt system provides them.  In a .deb
package are recorded all the packages upon which this depends, so a simple
'apt-get install xastir' fetches not only the binary, but every library
that is needed at runtime.
   Similarily, 'apt-get source xastir' will bring down not only the source
tree, but all the libraries' header files that are necessary to compile
it.
   So I propose this simple HOWTO:

apt-get install xastir
    This downloads and installs a known working binary.  Configure it,
learn its user interface.  Have  fun!  I read a few days ago that someone
is working on an initial configuration script, that simply asks for the
user's callsign, does a lookup via QRZ.com of the licensee's zipcode, and
builds an initial config with that call and location, a basic aprs-is
interface filtered for a 100km radius, and a tigermap zoomed to about 500
to display it.  I heartily applaud this effort, since with one question,
it will allow the program to open with a usable, understandable display
right from the get-go!

Once you've caught the bug, and you want the latest and greatest, then:

apt-get install build-essential
    This will install the compiler, linker, kernel headers, make, and the
other tools necessary to do basic compiling and linking.

apt-get source xastir
    This will bring in the xastir source tree, along with all the library
headers (-dev packages) that are necessary to compile it.

At this point, you have everything necessary to re-compile the same binary
you already have.  But you want to go forward, so:

apt-get install cvs
   This brings in the cvs source management tool, so now all that is left
is to use it to refresh and update the source tree you have, and install
any additional libraries (and their headers!) that you'll need for the
latest whiz-bang feature that you're itching to try...

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin