[Xastir] My latest Ubuntu adventures

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 8 10:34:46 EST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> Ok awesome, I'll add that in and re-compile now. One thing I forgot to
> mention also was that you will need to have the universe source repositories
> in /etc/apt/sources.list and as always, run sudo apt-get update
> afterwards....
>
> I'm still working on getting a .deb package setup and maybe even a
> repository to host the latest builds. I don't know how far I'll get as I'm
> not a developer, but I'll try :)

Ask on the list when you get to that point and somebody might step
up with an ftp site for that.  Add a link to it to our downloads
page and you're all set.

> > > Building with rtree indexing (Experimental) ........ : no

You might want to add "--with-rtree" to your ./configure line to
enable that last.  It makes Shapefile operations very fast if you're
zoomed in a bit on some maps, at least for the 2nd and succeeding
accesses.  The first access of the map builds the rtree.  The
downsides are of course the longer first map access and a bit more
memory used to hold the rtrees.  The upside is greatly sped up map
access in some instances.