[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Wed Nov 8 10:44:13 EST 2006

I will try and do that if I can get some time.  I have it running now
that way and set it up this morning. The longest time involved was just
downloading the torrent for Ubuntu/Kunbutu.  I have both now. I
downloaded them overnight and set it up this morning after the download
finished. Once the Ubuntu/Kubuntu is downloaded the set-up is easy. I
already had AGWPE running on Windows with another APRS client. I really
works well, it's all free, and because it is a virtual machine, it is
completely isolated from Windows so you don't have the issues of Cygwin
possibly hosing your windows system. Not to mention, the install is much
easier.

Curt, I do have some issues remaining. They occur with my other
installation of Ubuntu & Kubuntu on another stand-along Linux machine.
First, Xastir can't seem to communicate with Festival. Second, I cannot
get the terraserver maps to work.  Any suggestions on what I need to
look for in terms of libraries or something else that may be missing?

With Festival, I started it with the "festival" command in a terminal
window. Then I start Xastir and it still says it cannot find something
in Festival. With Terraserver, I don't have a clue.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:
>

>> Go to www.vmware.com and download the free VMWare Player.  Install on
>> your windows machine.
>>
>> Also on the VMWare site, download a virtual machine for Mepis Linux,
>> Ubuntu Linux, or Kubuntu.
>>
>> Once it is downloaded, start the virtual machine in the VMWare player.
>> Now you have Linux running as a virtual machine on your windows machine
>> - at the same time.
>>
>> While running Mepis, Ubuntu or Kubuntu, using the Package Manager,
>> download Xastir - it will install in the virtual machine.
>>

> This sounds like a great option for people that don't want to mess
> with Cygwin.  I used to run a licensed copy of VMWare 1.x way back
> when, and was always quite happy with the software.  Now that one
> can download the VMWare Player for free, VMWare virtual machines are
> an even more attractive option.
>
> How about documenting the above on the Xastir Wiki?  A step-by-step
> for those that are install-challenged.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.   APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!" -- Winston Churchill