[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Thu Nov 9 06:41:32 EST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Curt Mills wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > Maybe there was a particular reason for using such tiny default values?  Curt?
> > If there isn't a real reason to make the default value so small, perhaps we
> > should go back to the 640x480 that was the default before then?
>
> Yes.  Specific reasons for it, and I'm the responsible party.
> Aren't CVS logs great?
>
> It went like this:  Tried resizing the window vertically as small as
> it would go.  Xastir segfaulted.   Figured out I could set the
> minimum window sizes to have at least one pixel in the drawing area,
> which would keep it from segfaulting.  The end result is what you
> see now.  A side effect is that the first time it starts up small,
> but I didn't see that at the time.  We could perhaps fix that
> first-time startup size if we have to set sizes in xa_config.c 'cuz
> they're missing in the config file.

I'll take this moment to put forward the idea that I think putting
something minimal up, besides the grey background, even if it isn't
anything but a splash screen with an Xastir logo and an arrow pointing
generally towards the File->Configure menu, would be good.  I think some
sort of world map might be better, but I know there are valid questions
about where to get something freely available and redistributable.  I just
think that having something there, out of the box, would at least say
"Xastir is working!" to new users.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhaus.org