[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 9 09:36:16 EST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Gerry Creager wrote:

> Clock drift has been an issue w/ VMWare since v1.0.  Using a drift
> correction file in ntpd.conf helps, but the nature of the clock
> algorithm they use makes ntp updates problemmatical.

You know, I recall that problem.  I know NTP expects the system
clock to be somewhat reasonable, as in a predictable drift over
time, and within a certain range.  This Dell desktop I have here
doesn't fit the parameters so the drift coefficient according to NTP
is always changing, and I get sudden jumps in time back to reality.

The clock under VMWare (way back when) was slow and not very
predictable.

You _could_ hook a GPS to a serial port and use Xastir's setting to
force the system clock to the GPS time, but that's kind'a harsh on
the system as it's a sudden change in time.  It's not a gentle
adjustment-over-time like NTP tries to do.