[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 9 10:11:52 EST 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Gerry Creager wrote:

> I'll look today for a freely distributable world map, probably shapefile
> format.  Will that satisfy anyone?  That much I should be able to
> accomplish.

James Jefferson had one on his site that was around 2MB I think.  He
added a missing continent to it a while back (Antarctica) but the
original data I think came from somewhere else.  That one might work
fine, but then there are two (somewhat minor) problems to consider:

  *) Xastir would need to be always compiled with Shapelib support
     in order to use it.

  *) The "development" and "stable" releases would need to add this
     so that people always had the base map, or else we could add it
     as a separate download on the File Download section of
     SourceForge to keep the source downloads small, and just put
     the map into any compiled binary distributions.

Because of the Shapelib problem, I'd prefer to have something in
Dos/Win/PocketAPRS format, so that any lack of libraries won't
affect it.  Then again, we can do so much more with Shapefiles and
that's one of my favorite formats!

I've thought before of including Shapelib sources with Xastir itself
so that it's always available.  I believe we've received permission
from Frank Warmerdam to include any pieces of it we want.  I think
that goes for the other libraries he's in charge of:  We tend to use
a lot of libraries from his sites.