[Xastir] Mapping

Stephen Brown Jr stephen.brown75 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 15:02:07 EST 2006

This may seem like a vague question, but as I don't know I feel compelled to
ask :)

I want the best quality maps that I can get to use with Xastir. The tiger
maps are great, and while the map caching feature is helpful, still takes
longer than I'd like it to display. I have read the maps entry on the wiki,
but I know nothing about the various map technologies. My end goal would be
to download the best quality map data I can get my hands on and cache it
locally on a server. Space is not too much of a concern, I have plenty of
storage options available.

At a bare minimum, I would like to have street level maps for a couple of
states and then expand to include the entire U.S.

What would be the best option based on what I want? Also, is there a good
tutorial or reference that explains all these different types of maps
available?

73's
Stephen
N1VLV