[Xastir] Mapping

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Nov 9 15:26:10 EST 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> What would be the best option based on what I want?

I use TIGER data converted to shapefile format for street level
(specifically zoom levels below 128), National Atlas data for zoom
levels 128 and up, and a world shapefile in the rare instances I zoom
that far out.  On some systems I use DOQQ (sat photo) and GNIS data
at very close zoom levels (12 or less).

Depending on what part of the country you're in and how uptight you
are about precision the TIGER data may not suit your needs.  It works
for me.

> Also, is there a good tutorial or reference that explains all these
> different types of maps available?

Not really.  There are lists of several different sources of maps,
and the old web site had examples of many of them.  Not sure if this
has made it to the new web site yet.

Ah, here's the page I looked at to get ideas of what I wanted:

http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/SAR.html

-Jason
kg4wsv