[Xastir] Mapping

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Nov 10 09:17:51 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 06:11:39AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> Precision Mapping and Street Atlas are commercial map programs.  No,
> we don't and won't support snagging their maps.  Their license
> doesn't allow it.  Pretty much extend that statement to any
> commercial maps.  Luckily there are maps available for most places
> in various formats that we _can_ use.
>
> That said, you _can_ use trails/routes/waypoints that National
> Geographic Topo users have submitted to the mapXchange site, but
> these are user-generated trails, not any of the topo maps
> themselves.  Anyone needing to extract the user data from Topo,
> please check out the latest-latest "gpsbabel" code.  It can extract
> from version 2.x/3.x/4.x now.

I will also reiterate that iGage All Topo Maps V7 Pro has an "export to
GeoTiff" option that produces geotiff files that are completely compatible
with Xastir --- right down to having usable .fgd files for collar clipping.
Given their special pricing for SAR members, I highly recommend this for
topo maps if you can't get free data (or if the free data you can get is
outdated) --- it is an extremely cost-effective way to get an entire state's
worth of topo maps.  The downside is that it's a Windows program, but they
claim that it works under Wine on Linux (I have tried it under Wine on BSD
and it does *not* work --- it'll run, but not actually display maps).

Doesn't help if you're looking for road data, but for SAR work it is well
worth the cash.