[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 10 10:34:54 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Jason Winningham wrote:

> Not sure how close the near-mythical xastir v2 is (: but if xastir
> does go to a GIS-aware postgress or something similar, would that do
> away with the need for shapelib support?  Or would shapelib become a
> core vector format and the GIS db be a supplemental package?

I'd prefer the latter.

> Or are these simply orthogonal issues and I'm making no sense?  Would
> the GIS db take the place of xastir's internal station/object
> database, or store map data, or both?

Could be either/or/both.  Definitely we'd store station data there.
There would be advantages to storing vector data there as well, but
I could see also having support for flat files.

If we stored vector data there, we could then have separate import
scripts for getting various types of vector data into the database,
and could get rid of a lot of the various types of code in Xastir
itself for reading all of those varied types of maps.  It'd make the
application simpler plus would speed things up greatly, for
instance, anyone tried raw TIGER/Line data with Xastir?  ;-)

I just looked at the license for Shapelib and it is LGPL.  We could
either keep it as a completely separate subtree in CVS with its LGPL
license, which would make it easy to update the code later, or we
could merge it directly into our code via this clause of the
license:

--------------------
  3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General
Public License instead of this License to a given copy of the
Library.  To do this, you must alter all the notices that refer to
this License, so that they refer to the ordinary GNU General Public
License, version 2, instead of to this License.  (If a newer version
than version 2 of the ordinary GNU General Public License has
appeared, then you can specify that version instead if you wish.)
Do not make any other change in these notices.

  Once this change is made in a given copy, it is irreversible for
that copy, so the ordinary GNU General Public License applies to all
subsequent copies and derivative works made from that copy.

  This option is useful when you wish to copy part of the code of
the Library into a program that is not a library.