[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 10 14:12:30 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> The best approach would be to have a subdirectory that is conditionally
> compiled.  We have one such directory now, the rtree directory.  Configure
> tests for whether to build that library, and adjusts the makefiles at that
> time to either ignore the rtree directory or build the library it contains,
> then link to that library statically.  The library isn't even installed,
> just built and linked.
>
> So all we need to do is probe for the existance of an installed shapelib.
> If it doesn't exist, build shapelib in the subdirectory, link it in statically.
> The machinery for such a thing is already in place in our autoconf/automake
> set-up, we just need to emulate the logic used for rtree, but use the
> probe for shapelib instead of the command-line flag that rtree uses.

> But if we do it right, there's no need to link our own private copy if there's
> already one.  And if we do link against our private copy statically, there
> is no problem if the user later installs an incompatible shared-library version.
> The static-linked version will be fine until the user updates xastir and
> reconfigures, at which point the newly installed shared-library version will
> be used instead.

In order to get this into the Xastir compile properly we need an
"xastir/src/shapelib/" directory, not "xastir/shapelib/", correct?

"xastir/src/shapelib/" would put it at the same level as rtree and
allow us to have Xastir's configure set up everything for us.  I
seem to remember that Make has troubles with multiple top-level
subdirs.  This would avoid that problem.

I put the shapelib-1.2.10 sources into "xastir/src/shapelib/" and
may attempt to merge it into autoconf/automake.  If I get the
install to work with/without Shapelib already installed I'll check
it into CVS.

I'll have to go study after that to see how to link it in
statically, which Tom suggested is the right thing to do in order to
avoid problems with incompatible shared libs in the future.