[Xastir] Course & Speed problem

Jay Hurt n0xvb at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 11 17:20:07 EST 2006

>From: Curt Mills <archer at eskimo.com>
>To: Jay Hurt <n0xvb at hotmail.com>
>CC: xastir at xastir.org
>Subject: Re: [Xastir] Course & Speed problem
>Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:30:42 -0800 (PST)
>
>On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Jay Hurt wrote:
>
> > I noticed that the last time I was mobile my station icon did not rotate
> > indicate my direction of travel.  My beacons also did not contain a
> > course/speed.  My setup is SuSE 10.1 with CVS from 11/7.  (I have all
>optional
> > libraries installed except for gpsman and also have --with-error-popups
>and
> > --with-rtree)  Is this something new?  Does Xastir compute the
>course/speed or
> > does it obtain that from the gps?  Am I correct in assuming the station
>icon
> > didn't rotate because Xastir thinks my course was 000?
>
>Are you talking about the Xastir station that was mobile, or it was
>watching another station of yours that was?  Two different sets of
>solutions based on that.  I think it's the latter.
>
>If it was watching your other station, then you need to click on the
>station settings that tell it to rotate the icon and to display the
>course & speed.
>
>If it was the Xastir station that was mobile then you need to pick
>one of the sentence types in configure->Defaults that corresponds to
>a mobile station.  If you don't, Xastir won't send out a
>course/speed, and won't rotate your icon 'cuz it doesn't decode a
>course number.

It was for N0XVB-2 (set up as mobile with local time), which was accepting
position information with no problem, but course and speed were showing 000
the entire time.  I was monitoring with my D7 and it showed my course/speed
at 000 also.  I was wondering if there was a NMEA sentence that Xastir was
looking for or if Xastir did the computation.  I know I was showing a valid
fix, with anywhere from 6-8 sats in view and it said "SPS" at the end of the
status line.
Jay

"If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your
pocket and then giving Fido only two of them."  Phil Pastoret
Hardware, n:  the parts of a computer system that can be repaired with a
hammer.