[Xastir] Re: built-in shapelib (was :Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 14 10:04:51 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Jason Winningham wrote:

> First, it compiles fine now, and dbfawk compiles and works.
>
> When I bring it up all looks OK.  When I zoom in, though, I am
> suddenly in Briscoe County not far from the city of Mena.  Only
> problem is, there is no Briscoe county or city names Mena in the
> state, much less near me.  I look at where I grew up in TN at the
> edge of the Cumberland Plateau, and as I zoom in Grand Canyon
> National Park appears.

Shapefiles are working correctly for me whether I compile with the
shared library or the internal statically-linked version.  Tom went
so far as to add "-Lshape -lshape" instead of "-Lshp -lshp" to the
link stage of the compile, which makes sure that it won't try to
link in the wrong one.

Linking in the wrong library might have happened if you had forced
Xastir to use the the internal copy via "--without-shapelib" or if
you installed the libraries but not the headers.  I simulated the
latter by changing permissions on the header file.  Like I said, Tom
tweaked the link step so that it'll avoid those problems.

What I was doing here was checking whether there might have been a
way for you to get headers from one Shapelib, but link in the
library from the other.  So far I haven't been able to do it, but I
might not be simulating your exact conditions either.

I suppose I can disable the headers in the internal version and see
if Xastir will link in the internal library but use the external
headers...  That might still be possible.

Nope.  Disabled shapefil.h and configure succeeded, but the compile
instantly failed.

What I would suggest is removing your xastir/src/shapelib directory
and contents, then doing another "cvs update -dP" and trying again.

I put "update -dP" in my ~/.cvsrc file so I don't have to remember
the options each time.