[Xastir] Festival & Speech

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Tue Nov 14 16:24:45 EST 2006

The soundcard is a SoundBlaster 16. That card is about a year old (well
at least in my system, actual card is probably older as I bought it at a
close-out price at Staples).  I'm not sure, but I do not believe the
SoundBlaster cards are software-emulated. It works great when using
other APRS applications such as AGWTracker which also has a speech
capability.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:
>

>> I really doubt that is the issue. This particular system is 2.6Ghz Intel
>> with 1GB of memory.
>>

> I'm running good Festival speech out of a P133 computer, but it has
> real sound hardware.
>
> Newer computers may have software-emulated sound systems, in which
> case you need a lot more processor power, plus CPU load can
> drastically affect it.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.   APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!" -- Winston Churchill