[Xastir] A problem decoding PHG...

Matt Werner kb0kqa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 22:53:13 EST 2006

On 11/15/06, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> I think that the weather information is the issue.  Not sure exactly why it
> should be, but I think xastir won't look past it.
>
> I've noticed that xastir will not *transmit* PHG information along with
> my weather information.  Other stations in this area that run APRS+SA and
> weather transmit one packet with weather info, then a plain station packet
> with PHG info, and I just guessed that for some reason PHG data extensions
> aren't supposed to be after weather data; but a quick read of the spec just
> now suggests that I'm wrong to guess that.  It's something that's puzzled me,
> but never enough to get me to look into the code to see why.
>
> It could be that xastir simply isn't looking for data extensions after the
> weather data.  It certainly doesn't put them in.

The spec doesn't allow for extensions in a weather packet, only in a
position packet:

"A fixed-length 7-byte field may follow APRS position data. This field is an
APRS Data Extension. The extension may be one of the following:"

-snip-

"PHGphgd Station Power and Effective Antenna Height/Gain/
Directivity"

73 - Matt
KB0KQA