[Xastir] New user..and thanks..

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Nov 18 17:14:19 EST 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Jeff Mohler wrote:

> But I'd like to use Windows as the base OS, just that I keep trying to
> find a comprehensive set of Cygwin install instructions where all of
> the steps still work today in 2006.  (Picky eh?)
>
> That seems to hold the most hope in reducing complexity in code &
> compiling to get a system where I can view maps, and _create_ maps.

I personally think of Cygwin on Windows as adding complexity, but
maybe that's just me.  I'd run it on a Linux OS, perhaps a live-CD
version or something so that you can just boot the laptop into it
and skip the hard drive install altogether.  With limited time and
all that it might not be a good option for you though.  Tried and
true _something_ is what you should be aiming for at this point.

> How much creativity do I have available to me to create a custom map?

You can create your own maps in any of the formats that Xastir can
use.  If using images, you can create a large one, tile it into
smaller pieces, and set up a .GEO file for each one.  Xastir can
then load the ones of interest as it needs to.

The facilities in Xastir itself for creating maps are rudimentary,
but may be good enough for you.  They revolve around creating
Shapefile maps.  No reason you have to create them with Xastir
though.

> As for the data, I will be using opentracker using our 2-way VHF
> radios (spare ones) on a separate channel from voice to transmit data,
> and a base radio with audio output to the windows sound card to input
> with Soundmodem for windows..the data.

If using AGWPE on Windows, make sure you test it all out and also
that your audio mixer settings get saved/restored properly.  This
will hopefully make the portable setups nice and reliable for
decoding packets.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer