[Xastir] New user..and thanks..

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 19 17:04:00 EST 2006

On 11/18/06, Jeff Mohler <speedtoys.racing at gmail.com> wrote:
>Ive just this moment finished making my first map, discovered that
>they have to be square in the process.

As Curt said... rectangular. If you make an image larger than the screen,
you can zoom out view the whole image. This however allows you to zoom into
an area of concern with as good of an image as you can get from the original
image. Using a small image and zooming in makes it blocky (pixellated).

>Not sure what to do with timing yet, most of the time we'll have no
>more than 5 vehicles to track, at Mid Ohio I could have up to 12-15.

Just to clarify for everyone, you are not tracking race cars, but the
emergency support vehicles.

>When in action, 30s is far too slow, but I dont see how 5
>vehicles could xmit updates every 5 seconds without lots of
>collisions.

If you set up SmartBeaconing to update rapidly when the vehicles are
responding, you would be able to keep the dormant response vehilce out of
your way on RF because they are not sending position reports.

Because SmartBeaconing is activated by movement input, there is no way to
avoid collisions. You will want to use the shortest possible packets, and
you will want the highest possible precision as well. The 60 foot grid
precision won't cut it, you'll need the 2 to 3 foot precision.

Here I'll save time ans simply quote Curt:

Mic-E:  No timestamp and about 60' precision, short packets.

Standard APRS:  Timestamp and about 60' precision, longer packets.

NMEA: Timestamp and precision based on GPS sentence but LONG
packets.

Base91: Timestamp and 2' precision (assuming GPS puts out good
precision), short packets.

So, what are you using for trackers? Going to 9600 baud also shortens up the
packets, but it limits the available tracker hardware.

James
VE6SRV