[Xastir] Xastir and Fedora Core 6

Tate kc7zru at kc7zru.net
Sun Nov 26 23:37:40 EST 2006

Jim Bradbury wrote:
> I have been away from this list for about 6 months.
> Forgive me if this has been addressed (probably has).
>
> I have Fedora Core 6 running on all my machines.
> I downloaded the latest Xastir source today.
> When I did the ./configure , I got the error
>
> NO MOTIF HEADERS FOUND
>
> When I went looking for OpenMotif I found that
> it has been dropped from Fedora in FC6, and
> if loaded may cause conflicts with the fedora
> code.
>
> Is there a workaround for this?
> Perhaps we can just load the motif libraries?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> -= Jim - WB5ACL =-

Hey Jim,

If you look at the HowTo section of the Documentation page on the Xastir
web site (http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Fedora) you'll find
a link to: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RexDieter/openmotif. About
section 4 of the "RPM Stuff" section.

There the Fedora Project explains why they've dropped Lesstif from their
distro and currently include OpenMotif instead.

To sumarize:
"Per discussion on the Fedora Advisory Board mailing list 1, openmotif
currently does not meet Fedora's licensing requirements 2. The openmotif
developers have been contacted 3, but it appears openmotif's licensing
will not be changing soon.

The hard decision has been made that openmotif will be removed from
Fedora and the current plan is to make this happen by October 2, 2006,
the final development freeze for Fedora Core 6."

FWIW,

73