Xastir in a Virtual Appliance Re: [Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 28 13:30:26 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:31:09PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <duffy at wb8nut.com> flavor, containing:
> I tried this method and it works very well.
>
> Go to www.vmware.com and download the free VMWare Player.  Install on
> your windows machine.
>
> Also on the VMWare site, download a virtual machine for Mepis Linux,
> Ubuntu Linux, or Kubuntu.
>
> Once it is downloaded, start the virtual machine in the VMWare player.
> Now you have Linux running as a virtual machine on your windows machine
> - at the same time.
>
> While running Mepis, Ubuntu or Kubuntu, using the Package Manager,
> download Xastir - it will install in the virtual machine.
>
> Set it up to use AGWPE (yeah, download and install this first) on your
> windows machine. Use the IP address of the windows machine in order for
> Xastir to find AGWPE running on the windows O/S.
>
> Now you can have Windows and Linux running at the same time, on the same
> PC.  Since Linux is a virtual machine, it will not interfere with Windows.
>
> You can have the best of both worlds, on one PC, at the same time.

After reading the thread that this article started, I went ahead and bought
VMware Workstation for my new Ubuntu laptop.  I probably could have just used
the vmware server, but in the end decided that US$200 was worth it, especially
since I needed virtualization for something else anyway.

This past weekend I generated a relatively small virtual appliance containing
a slightly-stripped-down Xubuntu distribution, all the libraries and
development packages needed to build xastir, the Xastir source tree checked
out from CVS, and Xastir built with almost all optional libraries (I left out
festival and gdal/ogr, but have everything else).  I even set up three
interfaces (an internet server, a D700, and a KPC3) most of the way, so that a
user could just finish up a few small configuration options and get on the air
using a virtual serial port to communicate with the TNC (instead of having
to set up AGWPE) --- even if that virtual serial port is provided by a USB to
Serial adapter through the Windows side.  The entire thing, with no added
maps, zips down to a bit over 500MB, still plenty small enough for a CD to
distribute in Xastir evangelical work.

I chose the Xubuntu distribution over Ubuntu or Kubuntu because of the
light-weight desktop environment it provides through Xfce instead of Gnome or
KDE.  Xubuntu's a distribution intended to bring a usable linux desktop
experience even to old, slow processors with not much disk space --- which
sounded like a perfect choice for a virtual machine that could wind up being
installed on a loaded Windows box.  It's not the slickest desktop and is not
all that much like Windows, but it stays out of the way and lets xastir have
most of the cycles.  Properly set up with xastir as a desktop icon and help files on the desktop, the rest of the environment shouldn't be all that important
anyway.   I stripped out the open office word processor to make more space,
since the Xubuntu distribution comes with a lighter weight WP that I can't
remove (it's part of the desktop package) and most Windows users would just
use Word natively anyway.  Unfortuntely I was unable to strip out some of the
other baggage like the Gaim IM chat client and some of the multimedia stuff,
becuase it, too, was a dependency of the actual desktop package and couldn't
be removed without removing the desktop, too.

I am also working on a localized version with added maps, but went overboard
and will have to pare it down a lot if I'm to make it a reasonably sized
Zip file.

I thought I was done with the no-added-maps appliance, but in the process of
writing some help files in html (so that users have a "click here to get
started" document), I figured out some ways that I want to refine the more
bare-bones one, too (like, using NAT instead of bridged ethernet, for those
users who might only have one IP address available to them,  and possibly
smbfs and cups services so that the linux VM can get at Windows printers and
disk shares).  Once I'm done, the no-local-maps version should be a perfectly
general virtual appliance for anyone to use for APRS instead of starting
with one of the generic linux distros available through the VMware site.

Since the VM contains a CVS checkout of xastir and all libraries and headers it
needs to build, updating xastir is as simple in the appliance as a "cvs update"
and a "source reconfigure && make && sudo make install" operation (I've
provided a "reconfigure" script to hold a few extra command line options).

Unfortunately, there is no way I could possibly serve the 500+MB file to share
it with more than one or two people through a temporary FTP site.  So if anyone
were to find this useful, it might be desirable for someone with huge bandwidth
capabilities to get it started as a torrent the way the other virtual appliances
are distributed.  If there is such a person, we can arrange  for me to make
a copy temporarily available as soon as it's a little cleaner (probably in
the next few days).