[Xastir] slimming down dbf files

Kyle Kienapfel doctor.whom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 15:25:55 EDT 2006

I didn't know that dbf was a standard xBase/dBase file:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBase

I just used a DBF Viewer 2000 from this site to cut a 300mb dbf file
down to about 50. The odd thing about this program is it deals with
the file directly, I delete a bunch of fields and its down to 110000kb
and its already like that in the dir, so remember to make a copy. I
then used its statistics to figure out the max length used for each
text field, but maybe the optimize button can do that. That took me
from 110mb to 54mb. Theres too fields that seem to be unique
identifiers NID and ROADSEGID, if I knew which one was used by the shp
file, I could cut a few more MB there.   (208800 records, so 1mb is
~4bytes off a record)

deleting fields will screw up the fields part of the dbfawk files, but
I'll verify that my changes actually still work when I have time, just
wanted to throw something out.

Url for what I used, I have not searched for other programs that do similar
http://www.dbf2002.com/