[Xastir] Another Xastir Oddities

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Oct 6 08:59:35 EDT 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, John Ronan wrote:

> I could be wrong, but isn't that the box to indicate Position
> Ambiguity? Though I don't seem to be able to switch it off.

Nope.  Excellent guess though, and kind of a similar type of thing.
Position ambiguity is now a box with lines diagonal from corner to
corner, with the symbol placed in the center.  I see VA7ALB-9,
AC9H-12, and DL1HSI on my map with position ambiguity rectangles.

These white rectangles are something that I added a while back
showing the precision of the posits.  You'll only see it from about
zoom 1 through zoom 16 I think.

For stations running NMEA with 3 or 4 digits after the decimal point
the box MAY be just visible at zoom 1, and sometimes only if you
turn off symbols.

For Base-91 packets it's very small and just barely viewable at zoom
1.  About 2'x3' I think?

For standard APRS packets or Mic-E packets, it'll be quite large,
something like 40' x 60' at my latitude.

What this box is telling you is that the station is physically
somewhere in that box, and an idea of the precision being
transmitted by the various types of stations.  It is oriented in the
direction that the digits are being chopped off, so it will change
as you cross the 0 degree lat/lon lines.  So far everything I've
looked at truncates instead of rounding these numbers, so I believe
the offset of the box is correct.

There's no way to turn it off.  Most people don't zoom in that far
anyway.  Is it causing any problems?

I kind of enjoy knowing that my precision is better than all of
those D7, D700, and other Mic-E users out there.  Most APRS clients
too for that matter!