[Xastir] Editing the Serial Kiss TNC startup and stop

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Mon Oct 9 19:07:54 EDT 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Mark Miller wrote:

> Kyle,
>
> Thanks.  I wrote a Perl Script to get my Tracker2 out of KISS
> mode.  I sent C0 FF C0 by using \xC0\xFF\xC0.

As I find more often than not, when I'm thinking "hey wouldn't it be nice
if xastir did..." there is actually already a script in the scripts
directory to do this:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Scripts#kiss-off.pl

> All,
>
> What does XASTIR send to initialize a TNC into KISS mode?  What does
> it send to turn KISS off?  Is this configurable somewhere.

There appear to be a number of macros defined in the top of "interface.h"
which might be applicable. However, I note this comment in interface.c:

// 0xff Exit from KISS mode (not implemented yet)

Looking at the del_device() function in interface.c, which I think is the
right place to look, I see the place to do something, but I'm not seeing it
do anything special to kick the TNC out of KISS mode, when xastir shuts
down a KISS or MKISS device.  I also would suppose that there is a certain
arguement both for and against doing so by default, as I'm sure there are
arguements to be made about the "best" way to determine what state in which
to leave an interface.  I'd sorta guess it just isn't a Creature which has
been Feeped yet, and also would guess it might also be something to be
documented in a clearer manner.

73
n8ysz.

--