[Xastir] Editing the Serial Kiss TNC startup and stop

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Oct 10 11:35:27 EDT 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Mark Miller wrote:

> Is there a file that can be edited to configure the start and stop
> parameters for the Serial Kiss TNC interface?  I am using a Tracker2
> and would like to be able to bring this TNC in and out of Kiss
> mode.  The command to put this TNC in Kiss mode is KISS ON, to bring
> it out of Kiss mode, all you have to do is send FF.  What is the best
> way to send FF to the serial port on a Linux box?

The "Init KISS mode on startup" button was added to support one and
only one type of TNC.  The commands to do so are hard-coded into
Xastir.  This code was either contributed or asked for (can't remember
which now) by one european ham who needed it for his model of TNC.
For the most part, ignore that option.

None of the developers have felt the need (so far) to have
configurable files to set up a TNC for KISS/take it back out of KISS
mode when starting/stopping interfaces.  If they had the code would
have been written by now.  Most people that run KISS TNC's keep them
in that mode all the time for reliability reasons.  Many people used
to replace the factory EPROM with a special KISS EPROM that would do
nothing else.

So, the answer to your question is that Xastir _doesn't_ do that
right now.  If anyone felt like writing the code and contributing it
to the project, we'd be glad to take a look at it/merge it in if it
was done well.  If considering doing this, read the docs section on
the Xastir SourceForge pages for our (somewhat minimum) coding
standards.