[Xastir] MrSid format DRG maps

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Tue Oct 10 14:31:20 EDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
>> GDAL might be able to link against a MrSID SDK, which would mean it would
>> come along for free with GDAL raster support, but I'd still like to find a
>> free format with good compression to use instead.
>
> As a matter of fact you can do the MrSID stuff with GDAL.  I'm on
> the GDAL mailing list and I think you might be too Derrick.

I am. I noticed someone complaining about MrSID breaking gdal_translate
like 3 inbox messages ago :)

> Of course we don't have raster support done yet in Xastir for GDAL,
> only support for some of the vector formats (using the OGR library).

Yup.

>> DjVu is probably it,
>
> I don't know that one.

djvuzone.org

Note that there is a complete open source implementation. No one that i
know has glued it into geospatial apps and I haven't looked to see if
there's a tagging format so you could do geodjvu. But the compression it
offers is nice.