[Xastir] Editing the Serial Kiss TNC startup and stop

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Oct 10 19:37:05 EDT 2006

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>

>> None of the developers have felt the need (so far) to have
>> configurable files to set up a TNC for KISS/take it back out of KISS
>> mode when starting/stopping interfaces.  If they had the code would
>> have been written by now.  Most people that run KISS TNC's keep them
>> in that mode all the time for reliability reasons.  Many people used
>> to replace the factory EPROM with a special KISS EPROM that would do
>> nothing else.
>

> The nice thing about those EPROMS is that they don't mysteriously
> drop out of KISS mode unexpectedly.
> Unfortunately KISS EPROM images are only available for TAPR TNC2s and
> their many clones (MFJ, DRSI. Paccomm, Symek).  These aren't easy to
> find anymore because some of the chips used have long been
> discontinued, however the Tiny-2 is still on Paccomm's web site.  MFJ
> 1270s often show up at hamfests and swap meets.  There are even a few
> TNCs on ebay right now.
>
> 73 - Bob, N7XY

I run KISS only EPROM's in 4 MFJ1270B's on my Linux system. I found the
KISS only EPROM offered two advantages over a Native Mode EPROM that
contained KISS.

1. The TNC never comes out of KISS mode unexpectedly.
2. The KISS only EPROM solved many strange timing problems that the
Native Mode EPROM exhibited when in KISS mode. Things like transmitting
over incoming data, not transmitting data that the computer sent to the
TNC, etc, all went away when the KISS only EPROM was used.

Ray vk2tv