[Xastir] Multiple Servers

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Oct 25 09:48:12 EDT 2006

Robbie, wa9inf wrote:
> Dan Brown wrote:

>>> Hi Jerry,
>>>
>>> No, I don't need to connect to each server at the same time. All I'm
>>> looking for is a redundancy scheme whereby if one server falls over,
>>> Xastir will attempt to connect to an alternative server in a manner
>>> similar to UIView.
>>>
>>> Server failures are rare but, in accordance with Murphy's Law they
>>> will happen when I'm not here, which is quite often, and I want to
>>> cover that possibility.
>>>

>> I believe that this has been somewhat implemented by the APRS IS guys
>> using
>> round robin DNS records with a 60 second (or so) ttl for
>> "rotate.aprs.net"
>>
>> Using "dig" on a command line:
>>
>> Myhost.foo$ dig rotate.aprs.net
>>
>> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> rotate.aprs.net
>> ;; global options:  printcmd
>> ;; Got answer:
>> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6864
>> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
>>
>> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
>> ;rotate.aprs.net.               IN      A
>>
>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>> rotate.aprs.net.        46      IN      A       165.91.140.28
>> rotate.aprs.net.        46      IN      A       64.58.200.20
>> rotate.aprs.net.        46      IN      A       134.173.254.38
>>
>> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>> aprs.net.               5986    IN      NS      ns3.aprs.net.
>> aprs.net.               5986    IN      NS      ns7.aprs.net.
>>
>> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
>> ns3.aprs.net.           5986    IN      A       24.123.66.139
>> ns7.aprs.net.           5986    IN      A       64.58.207.2
>>
>> ;; Query time: 47 msec
>> ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.7#53(192.168.1.7)
>> ;; WHEN: Tue Oct 24 19:56:43 2006
>> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 149

>> If you use dig a few times in a row, you'll see the 3 lines in the
>> "Answer
>> section" change order, and the TTL (46 here) will decrease over time.
>> I've
>> not looked at the Xastir code, but, As long as users use hostnames and
>> xastir (and other stuff like nscd) doesn't cache the Hostname->Ip mapping
>> any longer than specified, you should be able fail over by using
>> "rotate.aprs.net" within 60 seconds, plus or minus timeouts to see if
>> things
>> are truely down.
>> Still, it would be nice functionality to have -- use one "interface"
>> specification and have multiple possible hostnames to connect to.  I
>> personally just have multiple interface specifications.  If one goes
>> down,
>> I can start another manually, fairly easily.
>>

> I am new to xastir myself, and yes, UI-View and WinAPRS and others use
> "one" server, which does all that if I understand what is being
> attempted there..
>
> Just set xastir up to connect to rotate.aprs2.net port 14580 and supply
> [...]
<aprsIs:soapbox>
Those of us "in" the Core have received complaints of late when some of
the Tier2 systems in their rotation went down.

OK:  I strongly support the concept of a tiered, distributed system of
servers,  but from my rather self-centered, and professional, opinion,
that implies a TOP tier that is the basis for that distribution.  The
Tier2 folks have initiated their own "core" operation rather than
continuing to recommend that the 2nd tier connect to the Core, and
receive their regional data that way.  Or, gather *all* the data for
distribution from the core and parse it out.  In other words, they've
added a new layer of broadcast and abstraction I don't think was
well-thought-out, beneficial, or necessary.

So: use rotate.aprs2.net and be willing to expect some delay and growing
pains, or use rotate.aprs.net and attach to the core.

We're adding another server to the Core sometime soon... we're real
close.  We already exchange our data using a new UDP method that's
diminished our bandwidth requirements, allowing more scalability.  My
bandwidth usage has never been a problem, but we do watch that sort of
thing and work with AE5PL on mods to the JavARPSrvr code to see about
real enhancements.  Note that that upgrade was accomplished without
disturbing services to our users.

</aprsIs:soapbox>
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020  FAX 979.862.3983
MAIL:  AATLT, 3139 TAMU
Physical: 1700 Research Parkway, Suite 160,
College Station, TX 77843-3139