[Xastir] Xastir compile options

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Oct 27 10:52:07 EDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 06:30:53AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Dick C. Reichenbach wrote:
>
> > How does rtree indexing affect redrawing of weather alerts?  Weather
> > alert redrawing is one of the major drags on my machine.  I've been
> > using rtree indexing for a very long time now, but I've never seen a
> > difference, as far as weather alerts go.
>
> It should speed things up a bit for the 2nd draw out of a file and
> succeeding draws.

Not really.

> One thing that could really speed up weather alerts would be
> changing the code to go through each file once looking for all the
> alerts from it.  Right now we run through the file once for each
> shape, which isn't efficient.

This is why.  Rtree reduces the time spent rendering a shapefile by speeding
up the selection of on-screen elements.  WIthout rtree, xastir does a
linear search through the entire shapefile, checking each shape's bbox
against the screen.  With rtree, xastir does a query against the index that
amounts to "select all shapes on screen".

Since weather alerts are done by calling draw_shapefile_map once for each
alert, and the alert's shape is stored as an index into the shapefile, rtree
actually has nothing to do.  Rtree should have no impact at all on wx alert
drawing.