[Xastir] Open source mapserver

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 30 17:58:56 EST 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> I found out about this today:
>
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/
>
> And I have seen it in action many times over and not even realized it! My
> company uses this for an application we run.
>
> Here's my question, I am a complete newbie when it comes to mapping software
> etc. How could something like this be utilized for Xastir if even
> applicable? I would love the idea of having my own local mapserver to
> serve/render my own maps locally and I am just looking for a starting point.

If it serves up WMS maps, then Xastir can use them.  If it only
serves up WFS maps, then Xastir has no support for it yet.

Here's a sample .geo file to try, use it to create your own that
might work with the above server.  It helps greatly if you have
specs on the server or use a web browser to go in and query which
layers it supports first.

See below.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer

> cat  test1.geo
WMSSERVER
#URL
http://mesonet.tamu.edu/cgi-bin/CONUSradar?SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=radar,nwscounties
URL
http://atlas.gc.ca/cgi-bin/atlaswms_en?SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=can_7.5m&VERSION-1.1.0
#
# REFRESH tells your program just how often to retrieve the radar
# image.  Images are recreated on the server every 6 minutes (720
# sec).
#REFRESH 720
#TRANSPARENT 0x000000