[Xastir] map problem

Robert Grattan bgrattan at umw.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:48:54 EDT 2006

Thanks, Curt, that helped some but I think I'm going to blow the whole
installation away and start from scratch.  Xastir is great, and almost
fool-proof; however, this is one fool who managed to mess up a good
thing which was working fine except for the wx stuff.  I'll make it a
learning experience!

Bob N4MRV

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Robert Grattan wrote:

> I'm having map problems and wonder if someone could suggest where my
> problem is coming from.  [Xastir is V1.8.2 on RedHat
2.6.9-42.0.2.EL.]
> It has been working fine (except for wx maps) for over a year until
> tried to fix the wx map display.  Everything seems to work except I
only
> have a grey screen with stations appearing but no map.  The
> map_index.sys  and selected_maps.sys seem to be there but xastir
isn't
> finding them.  Thanks.

First of all you're running more than one copy of Xastir out of the
same config directory, or have remnants of earlier runs of Xastir
still running.  You may have corrupted your config files doing this,
which may be why Xastir isn't finding things anymore.

Kill Xastir.  Do a "ps -auxww | grep xastir" to see if anything is
still running.  If so, kill each process.

Try running Xastir again after that.  See if it works better.  If
not, close Xastir again (are you killing it via the window manager
buttons, or via the File->Exit dialog?  Use the latter to make sure
all threads/processes get killed properly).  Then rename the
~/.xastir directory like this:

    mv .xastir .xastir-save

Then start Xastir back up.  Xastir should start up clean like it was
first run.  Try indexing maps and setting things up again.  You can
look at the ~/.xastir-save/config/xastir.cnf file to see what
settings you used before.

That should fix it.