[Xastir] USB dongle suggestion...

William Gery wgery at kc.rr.com
Sat Sep 23 15:39:41 EDT 2006

USB to serial adapters have unique device ids ( serial numbers )
The serial number can be found in the file /proc/bus/usb/devices
Since I have several,  I connected them one at a time and copied down
the number.

Then a rule was created for each which creates symbolic links when the
USB adapters is plugged in. The software using the interface is
configured to use the alias. Example for xastir I have three TNC/s
connected.   /dev/ttytnc0, /dev/ttytnc1, and  /dev/ttytnc2 which
correspond to device 0, device 1 and device 2 for xastir interfaces. In
this way the actual /dev/ttyUSB does not matter since the software used
the symbolic link dev which is based on the USB adapters serial number.

Six of the 7 usb adapter shown below are from the same manufacturer.

Hope this helps

sample 25-usbserial.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d Fedora core 4 and 5

#KERNEL="tty[A-Z]*", SYSFS{serial}="FTCCGJQ8", SYMLINK="ttyT4"
MODE="0666"
KERNEL="tty[A-Z]*", SYSFS{serial}="FTCCGJQ8", SYMLINK="tty706",
MODE="0666"
KERNEL="tty[A-Z]*", SYSFS{serial}="FTCAA03O", SYMLINK="ttyWX",
MODE="0666"
KERNEL="tty[A-Z]*", SYSFS{serial}="FTCBXBA8", SYMLINK="ttytnc2",
MODE="0666"
KERNEL="tty[A-Z]*", SYSFS{serial}="FTC9S453", SYMLINK="ttytnc1",
MODE="0666"
KERNEL="tty[A-Z]*", SYSFS{serial}="FTCBX94P", SYMLINK="ttytnc0",
MODE="0666"
KERNEL=="tty[A-Z]*", SYSFS{serial}=="ftCCDAR5", SYMLINK="ttypsk",
MODE="0666"
KERNEL="tty[A-Z]*", DRIVER="pl2303", SYMLINK="tty756", MODE="0666"