[Xastir] cvs diff

Chip G. n1mie at ct.metrocast.net
Tue Sep 26 12:38:40 EDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 09:19, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Dan Brown wrote:
>
>> You might try the -n option:

After I sent the message last night I was able to stumble on this one
myself. This appears to do what I expected diff to do. The diff only
seems to let me know if my end is newer than the repository, I want
to know if either is different.

> The standard to see if there's anything to update is:
>
>     cvs -n -q update
>
> I have that defined as another alias so that I have something
> easier to type/remember.

OK, I gather the '-q' just tells it not to output non-useful
information (quiet mode). Incidentally, if you're trying to save on
typing this should be the same:

	cvs -nq update

I've tested and it does the same thing. The other thing I do a little
differently... I have a machine running all the time. Once per day I
have a crontab entry which has it perform a check and mail me the
results. This way I get a daily summary of any updates. With the 'cvs
diff' I wasn't getting anything useful. With the 'cvs -n update' I am.

My current output includes these three lines:

	cvs update: New directory `LaCrosse/autom4te.cache' -- ignored
	cvs update: New directory `src/Davis' -- ignored
	cvs update: New directory `src/callpass' -- ignored

I've run a 'cvs update -d' and so I'm not sure why these directories
weren't created. I've tried several times and it still gives the same
results. My other two machines with Xastir have successfully created
the directories. Not sure why it's not happening here.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn