[Xastir] Compiling version 1.8.5

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 5 19:35:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:19:17PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bmcconnell at columbus.rr.com> flavor, containing:
> I am trying to build 1.8.5 but I am getting errors. I am wondering what
> libraries I am missing etc.
>
> /usr/bin/ld: rtree/librtree.a(split_l.o)(.text+0x275): unresolvable R_386_32
> relocation against symbol `CoverSplit'
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Unfortunately, it will be extraordinarily difficult for me (as the person
nominally responsible for the rtree library in xastir) to debug this, as it
appears to be peculiar to Fedora Core 6, which I do not use and have no
access to.

In googling that error message, I only see a few references to it in any
web sites, and they're all about the same issue involving ncurses (which
is not the problem here) --- but it does imply that the message points to
some sort of clash with a system definition that is confusing the
issue when CoverSplit is defined.

Please try grepping /usr/include/* for the string "Rect" --- that is what
CoverSplit is defined as, and if there's something in the FC6 system
that is conflicting with that it might explain things.  I doubt there's
a conflicting "CoverSplit" but if you don't find a "Rect" then please try
grepping for "CoverSplit" too.

If that's the case, it might be possible to get around the problem by
introducing a unique prefix to some of the rtree library's definitions to
get around the namespace pollution.  While this appears to be a problem
only on FC6 right now, it might become a problem on other distributions
in the future.