[Xastir] Configuration of operation not clear

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 12 12:24:15 EDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Jason Winningham wrote:

> If I remember correctly, if your TNC isn't KISS, xastir can't use it
> to digipeat.

Correct.  There's no way that ANY program can set the proper bits in
the packet unless they're talking KISS.  We need direct access to
the packet header bits.

You can however set up a normal TNC to digipeat in some limited
fashion through TNC settings in the startup file, but in that case
Xastir has nothing to do with the digipeating.  Whether it digipeats
on various alias callsigns, does callsign substitution, etc, is
entirely up to the TNC and it's firmware in that case.  Even the
very oldest TNC's will probably have a "MYALIAS" and "DIGIPEAT"
functions, but if they don't do callsign substitution you'll also
have to turn on the ID function for the every-10-minutes ID
requirement.

> Xastir's digi function is a bit limited, and not really
> intended to take the place of a full-up digipeater.

Absolutely correct.